In this article, we are going to explain what is Java used for through examples and definitions.
In the world where technology is evolving at an exponential, do you wonder why we are still using Java? This article will explore the nitty-gritty details about Java and Java programmers.
1. What is Java and what is used for
Java is a ‘General Purpose Programming Language’, which runs on the principle – ‘Write Once, Run Everywhere’. Like
Java is also an Object-Oriented programming language. Also, you should note that
Java is not only a programming language, but it is itself a platform for application development.
The different principles of
Javashould be object-oriented as well as simple to comprehend.
- It should be robust as well as secure.
Javashould give the best performance.
- The programming language should be able to execute anywhere – making it platform dependent.
Javashould be dynamic. The concept of multi-threading became a part.
2. History of Java
Let us talk about where it all began. After struggling with numerous names like Oak, Silk, and many others, Java became the name. The name – Java – comes from a type of coffee from Indonesia known as Java coffee.
James Gosling and his team started working for this project in the early 1900s. The primary application of
Java was for interactive televisions like the set-up boxes.
But, eventually, it became a better option for internet programming.
Java was developed as part of Sun Microsystems. It was released in 1995 as Java 1.0, which was then acquired by Oracle.
3. Importance of Java
In recent years,
Java has been able to mark its presence in every sector. From the web applications to mobile development,
Java has shown its significance.
Subsequently, the primary reasons for
Java being so important in the world of evolving technology are:
- “Write Once, Use Anywhere”; also known as portability, the concept makes
Javaflexible and thus an important choice for the developers.
- Multithreading enables a faster response time for the code execution. Since threads save memory and execute faster, it becomes important for the developers.
- The performance increases manifolds when memory is used efficiently.
Java quite often becomes the primary choice for the developers around the world.
4. Popularity of Java
Despite the fact that
Java has been there for more than 2 decades, the constant evolution of
Java is primarily the reason why is still so popular among developers.
Finally, the different reasons for
Java as a popular choice are as follow:
Javais a user-friendly language. Unlike other programming languages,
Javais simple and easy to understand.
- This technology is led by a robust community. The community ensures continuous improvement periodically.
- Excellent Documentation makes it easier for the developers to code better.
- The programmers have a rich source of API that they can use. This frees them away from the burden of writing extra code.
5. What Java Programmers do
The roles and responsibilities of a
Java developer may vary because of many factors including the seniority of the position, and the skillset they possess. A programmer’s role lies throughout the Software Development Cycle.
5.1 Roles & Responsibilities
Here are few of the roles and responsibilities of Java programmers.
- The primary role of a
Java programmeris to write code for the application program. The code should be well-designed, and efficient apart from being testable.
Java programmertakes part not only in programming but also in testing and debugging.
- Once the application is published/released, it is the responsibility of the
Java developersto maintain and update any changes required by the application. The reason why
Javais still one of the top technologies in the market is due to continuous improvement, and updations by the developers.
Java programmercontributes to all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle, also known as SDLC.
5.2 Key Skills & Expertise
As already mentioned,
Java developers play a role in the entire SDLC, thus there are many skills needed by the developer to excel. The skills that a
Java developer needs to have expertise with are as follows:
- Object-Oriented Programming & Design
- Relational Databases – MySQL/Oracle
- Web-services based on Java
- JSP – Java Server Pages
- EJB – Enterprise Java Beans
In this article, we explained what is
Java used for and we talked in-depth about it, like why it still is so important and popular in the world of ever-evolving technology, and the role of a
If you want to start programming in
Java, here is a list of tutorials for beginners:
7. More articles
- Java Tutorial for Beginners
- Best Way to Learn Java Programming Online
- How to Check Java version in Windows, Linux, MacOS
- How to update Java for Windows 10, macOS, and Android
- Download and Install Java Development Kit (JDK) 13
- Java Hello World Example
- Java Classes and Objects
- Java Cheat Sheet
- Java tutorials on the Java Code Geeks YouTube channel
Last updated on May 24th, 2021